Ron,

I've been told by someone who I trust implicitly that there's a 
substantial number of things in the standard
which are there because "Chet said it sounded right to him."  I'm not 
making any value judgment on this
just relating what I was told.  I'm like you, in that I look at some of 
that stuff, not just in hanging and
seismic, but throughout the book, and I ask "out of curiosity, how did 
they come up with that?"

A couple of others which come to mind are the density numbers for LH, 
OH, and EH occupancies.  I
know I could probably find why it was changed when OH went from three 
classes to two, but I just
don't have the time nor desire to look it up. 

With all that said, it's worked pretty darn well, though.  It is what it 
is, I guess. 
PARSLEY CONSULTING
Ken Wagoner, SET
760.745.6181 voice
760.745.0537 fax
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> e-mail
www.ParsleyConsulting.com <http://www.ParsleyConsulting.com> website

Ron Greenman wrote:
> I don't know if that extra 250 lbs was really for the fitter of old to
> grab onto or if that is just the story we've been telling each other
> for so long it's become the common "truth." If the truth then we'd
> better reassess it in light of current times. First we need to add
> about 100 lbs if it's to meet the criterion of the story but, and
> probably more telling, I think OSHA (or your local version) might be
> concerned if we're actually telling our fitters to grab the piping if
> they fall. Adding the 250 lbs is the rule. Why is unimportant unless
> the hanging and bracing committee wants to revisit the rule. If
> research were to suggest that the "story" really is the "truth/reason"
> then maybe we can just let it go. And what really is the criteria for
> any of this? Is it just a left over from the days of "I remember when
> 13 fit in your back pocket" versions of 13 that only addressed pipe
> schedules and other good, safe rules of thumb? Who decided, when was
> it decided, why is it (has it been constantly evaluated as valid--too
> much or too little), what values is it based on, etc.? In any event at
> this stage of sprinkler design development I'd worry about adding the
> 250 lbs to the calculation but not because a fitter might grab it. He
> might just as easily reach out for the 1/2 inch conduit. Better to
> have him properly tied off. Saves a heap of change on OSHA fines,
> lawsuits and possible criminal charges.
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Todd Williams<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Something to think about. Hangers are designed to take 5x wt of water
>> filled pipe +250 lbs. The 250 is supposedly to support a fitter if he
>> had to grab on to it in an emergency (or so I have been told). Has
>> anyone looked into if CPVC pipe could support a 250 lb person, even
>> with hangers designed for it?
>>
>>
>>
>> At 10:54 AM 8/4/2009, you wrote:
>>> Why not just calculate the modulus using the methods in NFPA 13 and then
>>> size your trapeze pipe accordingly.  Or, as George said, use the values
>>> for steel and just have some oversized trapeze bars.
>>>
>>>> Assuming CPVC weighs less than steel pipe, use values for steel and 
>>>> you're
>>>> safe. If you're near a head, make sure you're protecting against upward
>>>> movement if needed.
>>>>
>>>> When we get into bar joist construction, we often switch to steel since
>>>> hanging issues often make it a better installation all around.
>>>>
>>>> glc
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: [email protected]
>>>> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
>>>> [email protected]
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:03 AM
>>>> To: [email protected]
>>>> Subject: Re: trapeze hanger, PVC
>>>>
>>>> Greg,
>>>> If you are in a position to require trapeze hangers on cpvc,maybe 
>>>> you need
>>>> to reconsider using steel pipe for stability and rigidity.Just a 
>>>> thought.
>>>> ---- Greg McGahan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> Have we ever discussed the use of trapeze hangers for cpvc piping?
>>>> Specifically, modulus requirements etc?
>>>>> Greg McGahan
>>>>> Operations Manager
>>>>>
>>>>> Living Water Fire Protection
>>>>> 1160 McKenzie Road
>>>>> P.O. Box 877
>>>>> Cantonment, Florida 32533
>>>>> (850) 937.1850 | Fax (850) 937.1852 | Cell (850) 554.3231
>>>>> [email protected]
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>>>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to:
>>>>> [email protected]
>>>>>
>>>>> To Unsubscribe, send an email
>>>>> to:[email protected]
>>>>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: 
>>>> [email protected]
>>>>
>>>> To Unsubscribe, send an email 
>>>> to:[email protected]
>>>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: 
>>>> [email protected]
>>>>
>>>> To Unsubscribe, send an email 
>>>> to:[email protected]
>>>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: 
>>> [email protected]
>>>
>>> To Unsubscribe, send an email 
>>> to:[email protected]
>>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>> Todd G. Williams, PE
>> Fire Protection Design/Consulting
>> Stonington, Connecticut
>> www.fpdc.com
>> 860.535.2080
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>>
>> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
>> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.43/2281 - Release Date: 
> 08/04/09 05:57:00
>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to