I think there is something to this new pipe-old pipe thing.  I too, have
seen 1942 pipe that looks pretty good and 1979 pipe that looks like
something out of a heart attack victim.  I could probably dig up pictures
of both.  I have my doubts that the water is the culprit.  The pipe sees
the same water so the older pipe should look even worse, but it doesn't.
It actually looks better.

I often wonder why they discontinued the ASTM A120 standard, which is what
all the old pipe was built to.  Whatever they did different for that
standard may very well be the difference in what we are seeing
corrosion-wise.  Of course this is anecdotal and, as mentioned, to change
the standards you need scientific studies.

John Hoffman P.E. | Fire Protection Engineer | Facility Engineering
Services, KCP, LLC - Burns & McDonnell Engineering | National Nuclear
Security Administration's Kansas City Plant | Operated by Honeywell FM&T |
2000 E. 95th St | Kansas City, MO  64131 | ph 816-997-7213 |
[email protected]


                                                                                
                                       
  From:       Ron Greenman <[email protected]>                              
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  To:         [email protected]                                  
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  Date:       01/17/2011 01:10 PM                                               
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  Subject:    Re: Air Releases in 2013                                          
                                       
                                                                                
                                       
  Sent by:    [email protected]                          
                                       
                                                                                
                                       





Has anyone considered there may be "Something About Mary," that is the
quality of steel. I've taken 3/4" out of 100 year old systems in
Seattle that looks like it was made yesterday while a new chuck of
pipe next door rots out in two years and has an interior that looks
like the photos from a bad colonoscopy. You could argue that those old
systems didn't have regular flow tests, you could, but Seattle has
required flow tests (and has aggressively enforced same) since the
eighties so something built ten years ago has typically had fewer flow
tests than most (a few properties always squeak by) older buildings.
Just a thought based on my limited experience but I have probably
touched 30% plus of the systems in Seattle at one time or another.


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to