Could the difference in the older vs newer pipe be the materials or process 
used to make the pipe?  Pure steel vs recycled-recycled ???? plus steel?

Craig L. Prahl, CET   
Fire Protection 
CH2MHILL
Lockwood Greene
1500 International Drive
Spartanburg, SCĀ  29304-0491
Direct - 864.599.4102
Fax - 864.599.8439
CH2MHILL Extension  74102
[email protected]



-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tom Duross
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 3:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Air Releases in 2013

I think a sub-committee should be assembled to study this and present case
evidence.  It might take some time and cost $$ but if it involves a warm
climate I'm in.  Road trip!
TD

I think there is something to this new pipe-old pipe thing.  I too, have
seen 1942 pipe that looks pretty good and 1979 pipe that looks like
something out of a heart attack victim.  I could probably dig up pictures
of both.  I have my doubts that the water is the culprit.  The pipe sees
the same water so the older pipe should look even worse, but it doesn't.
It actually looks better.

I often wonder why they discontinued the ASTM A120 standard, which is what
all the old pipe was built to.  Whatever they did different for that
standard may very well be the difference in what we are seeing
corrosion-wise.  Of course this is anecdotal and, as mentioned, to change
the standards you need scientific studies.


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to