4.6.2.3.1 in the general requirements for liquid supplies as well as several 
other sections including backflows and acceptance testing all state that 150% 
or the maximum demand if 150% isn't available.  There is some commentary that 
suggests this situation may not be the best design practice, but that it is 
acceptable.  There are some sections relating to the pump itself that indicate 
it shall be able to pump 150% of it's rated capacity without exception, but I'm 
pretty sure that relates to the pump itself, not the water supply, IE if the 
pump was attached to a better water supply it should be capable of 150%.

We had a local fire marshall order the city to loop an 8" underground main 
after rejecting the black and white print of #20 on this subject though, and he 
prevailed despite being wrong at a cost of about 150,000 to the tax payer, 
which irked me, but at least it wasn't in the town I lived in I guess.
 
Mike Morey, SET, CFPS
Sprinkler Designer
BMW Constructors, Inc.
O: 317.651.0596 | C: 317.439.2695
www.bmwc.com

________________________________

From: [email protected] on behalf of IPA
Sent: Thu 6/9/2011 6:28 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Pump, Tank, 1000 ft suction line.....



Yeah but the exception to the 150% requirement is under acceptance testing &
maintenance. If you get out in the field after install and something ends up
falling short then don't sweat it as long as you can provide the greater of
either 100% or the system demand. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think
the intention is to design a new install ready to fail from the beginning
and from what I can gather the original poster is in the design phase.


-Brian



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to