AMEN

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Hill
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 11:42 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Change Orders

I once had an A/E argue with me about coordination on a project and told me to
just go by his coordinated plans. I told my installer to go get a core driller,
I then pointed to a spot on the exterior wall and said I need a 6"
hole right there. The A/E asked why the hell I needed a hole there, so I
explained since the existing building is actually 6' to 8' shorter than what he
claims (depending on which dimensions you use), that I need to install this
"coordinated" piping out there. We never saw that guy again.

The problem today, as I see it, is everything is driven by time. Contractors
agree to ridiculous 4 week schedules not realizing (or perhaps they do) that
sprinkler plan review takes 2-3 weeks and you have to wait another 2-3 weeks
for your scheduled hydro. Oh, they release on the project 2 weeks in after they
realize sprinklers are in the way of the new walls. It is a struggle to
maintain quality control when you are always trying to catch up. I am guessing
this happens with all aspects of the construction industry from initial
architectural design all the way through construction and installation. Our
industry is unique. Most other trades can work off of the approved building
plans and permit, not so for sprinkler and alarm, we are required to generate
our own drawings and apply for separate permits. This is exactly how it should
be. Would sure be nice if construction didn't start until ALL permits were
obtained. It amazes me how many times contractors get a demo permit and
 go so far as to have all the walls one sided with drywall and all the other
trades roughed in before the building permit has been issued and then scream up
and down how sprinkler is holding them up. Yet, I still can't even submit my
plans because they do not have an approved building permit, which is the very
first thing the AHJ checks when we submit our application.

Of course there are exceptions to everything and not all contractors are
ruthless, but it is harder to find the good ones.

Anyone else been in this industry long enough to remember when it was fun?
Fun is not how I would describe the last 6-8 years.

Mike Hill