I've done a heat trace system on a full foam system, branch lines and all.
 it was the P.E. that required it due to the division 2 classification, and
the owners insistence on not installing Div 2 heaters in the chemical
storage room.  we asked him to provided manufacture, and a letter from the
local authority authorizing the use on branch lines.  The local FM was fine
with it, and we haven't seen any problems out of it.  It was a smaller
room, approximately 3,500 sqft.  The insulation he specified was pretty
thick 2" isosomething.

Jamie