On Jan 7, 2008 5:59 PM, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Mike Orr wrote:
>

> > On Jan 7, 2008 12:20 PM, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >> This is a bugfix release and is recommended for all users who are
> >> currently on 0.4.2 or 0.4.2a.
> >
> > You really should bump the version number after a version has been
> > released.  'a' and 'b' look like alpha and beta.
> >
> > I installed 0.4.2 this morning, and afterward "easy_install -U
> > SQLAlchemy" says I already have the latest version.  I had to install
> > it specifically:  "easy_install SQLAlchemy==0.4.2b".
> >

> that sort of sucks, i thought easy install could recognize lettered
> revsions.  I cant see myself calling these 0.4.3 and 0.4.4 since a
> point release at that level for us usually means a lot more changes
> and time spent in SVN.

Generally a third-level number is a minor bugfix release.  A
second-level number indicates feature changes or backward
incompatibilities.  A first-level number indicates a major paradigm
shift.

Python works this way.  The bytecode is not allowed to change with
third-level releases.  Language changes are not allowed either, but
because standard library additions are not considered "language
changes", they're allowed.

If a single bugfix is critical enough to warrant a release "right
now", there should be no problem giving it a third-level number.
Again, that's what Python does.  I would say four levels is excessive,
and increases the chance that users won't understand your numbering
strategy.  And I suspect many people won't know what "p1" means unless
they've seen the explanation ("patch 1 fixes a critical bug in 0.4.2;
upgrade now or die").  They may even shy away from "p1" thinking it's
a temporarily release that will soon be superceded.

But in any case, you need to release 0.4.3 or 0.4.2p1 to get us out of
the current situation, or people will have 4.2.2 and think they have
the latest (because there's no 0.4.3), or they'll think they have one
version of 0.4.2{,a,b} when they actually have another.  This means
they may file bug reports on the wrong version.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>