On Jan 9, 2008, at 3:33 AM, Jon Rosebaugh wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2008 2:20 PM, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> 0.4.2b
>> ------
>> - sql
>>     - changed name of TEXT to Text since its a "generic" type; TEXT
>> name is
>>       deprecated until 0.5.  The "upgrading" behavior of String to
>> Text
>>       when no length is present is also deprecated until 0.5; will
>> issue a
>>       warning when used for CREATE TABLE statements (String with no
>> length
>>       for SQL expression purposes is still fine) [ticket:912]
>
> What are we supposed to do with Unicode?

just use Text(convert_unicode=True, assert_unicode='warn').  Unicode
is just a shortcut for String with those flags given.  We can add a
corresponding UnicodeText shortcut too.

Its a pretty valid use case to have a sized unicode-holding column
such as a varchar;   for example with utf-8 encoding you can calculate
the maximum size of a particular string (the encoding used for a
certain column in a DB is a constant).  For folks that use databases
like Oracle, the overhead of CLOB columns is very high (and theyre
also not so convenient in PG and MySQL either since they cant be
indexed the same way).