On Jan 8, 2008, at 3:43 AM, Mike Orr wrote:

> Generally a third-level number is a minor bugfix release.  A
> second-level number indicates feature changes or backward
> incompatibilities.  A first-level number indicates a major paradigm
> shift.

the problem with 0.4.3, 0.4.4 etc. is that we assign those numbers as
milestones in trac, and we do have a notion of a set of features that
will be slowly rolled out over the course of the 0.4 series.   Its
really just the "0." at the beginning of the number which makes our
scheme "different"..so it would imply that we'd have a four-level
version number, i.e. 0.4.2.1 0.4.2.2 etc. (because the "0." is pretty
much superfluous).  But we usually dont have fourth-level versions,
its only because 0.4.2 got a little more involved than a usual point
release that we are in this "abc" thing (which note at the moment ive
switched to 0.4.2r3).

as far as the "0.", im really glad that the 0.1 series wasnt called
"SQLAlchemy 1.0" , as well as that 0.2 wasnt "SQLAlchemy 2.0", etc.
0.1 and 0.2 were absolutely not major-version number products. 0.4 is
starting to look more major versioned to me, but if we went thru 0.4
and then jumped to 1.0, that would seem kind of brittle as well.