Hmmm, looks to me as if SQLA is generating the query correctly, but that the
DBAPI passes along the Binary() value encoded in a Python binary string,
which MSSQL then interprets as Varchar, and then complains that it can't do
an implicit conversion. That's a surprise to me; I had thought that this had
been working.

Googling for the appropriate syntax to keep MSSQL happy, most users end up
using the CONVERT() syntax, but I think that might be clumsy to wedge into
the Dialect compiler. Here's a ticket for a similar issue from the ROR
folks, with a interesting and different solution:
 http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7699

Mike, any perspective on how difficult it might be to get the MSSQL Dialect
to emit the CONVERT syntax for binary fields, or would converting the value
itself using base64 encoding be the better path?