On Sep 19, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Rick Morrison wrote:

> Mike, any perspective on how difficult it might be to get the MSSQL
> Dialect to emit the CONVERT syntax for binary fields, or would
> converting the value itself using base64 encoding be the better path?

we've had the notion of TypeEngine's knowing how to emit SQL functions
in the hopper as a result of the PostGIS crowd really wanting that.
Its a straightforward path to produce but its an 0.5 and possibly not
0.5.0 thing.    If base64 encoding within the bind_processor() can fix
MS-SQL for now, I'd say that would be the approach for the time
being.  I guess you've never gotten testtypes.py BinaryTest to run
with MS-SQL ?   I would definitely want some test coverage in test/
dialect/mssql.py for this, I'm pretty shocked nobody has had this
problem before.