On Sep 23, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Rick Morrison wrote:

> > The first step here is to get a full binary round trip working with
> > only pyodbc, no SQLA in use.
>
> Well, that's how I got as far as I did, but that was with straight
> text, no bind params
>
> > so this is likely pyodbc assigning quoting.
>
> OK then, dead end #2. I'll return to this when I've got a few more
> minutes.

other than this seems to be a bug in pyodbc, obviously we're probably
going to have to go with the CONVERT() thing.   The path to that,
since I wanted this to work for Postgres GIS functions as well,  is a
new method is added to TypeEngine called something like
"bind_converter()", MSBinary provides func.convert() from its
bind_converter() method, and compiler.visit_bindparam() calls upon
this method.  A little bit of plumbing would need to exist such that
MSBinary can determine exactly how the func.convert() arguments are
passed.   This is something that can be worked out as a patch to be
reviewed, we should add a trac ticket for it.