On Apr 19, 2009, at 11:34 AM, Roy Hyunjin Han wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Do you know if anyone is working on a PostGIS extension for
> SQLAlchemy?  If not, I'd like to take a crack at it.

I was just speaking to Mark Ramm about someone doing this for GSoC,
although that hasn't been nailed down.   you might ask him.   My
suggestions regarding this are of course building off of the
postgis.py example, and also perhaps, if its feasable (not sure if it
is), building the whole thing as a plugin to GeoDjango, which works
with many different databases besides Postgres, and seems to have a
lot of non-django-specific functionality.   If the Django ORM bindings
in GeoDjango could be replaced with SQLAlchemy bindings in an
efficient way (where effiicient means, we're not taking Django ORM
constructs and then translating to SQLA), we could leverage all the
work they've done.