On Apr 19, 2009, at 5:12 PM, Eric Lemoine wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Michael Bayer
> <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> I dont know much about MapFish but it appears to have a client/
>> server,
>> calls itself a web applciation framework, and seems completely
>> complicated compared to just "we'd like to use PostGIS with
>> SQLAlchemy".   I'm just looking for smooth integration with PostGIS
>> and other geospatial SQL extensions.    If we decide my observation
>> that GeoDjango has done a lot of work that needs to be re-done isn't
>> really valid, and everything they've done is only useful for Django
>> web applications, then that idea should be scrapped, and a simple
>> library which builds upon SQLAlchemy expression constructs should be
>> created.
>
> Hi
>
> MapFish's python package [1] basically provides the following:
>
> 1- a paster_create_template entry point [2] for creating MapFish
> applications with "paster create -t mapfish". MapFish applications are
> basically Pylons applications with an extra command (paster mf-layer)
> for creating RESTful web services relying on PostGIS tables
>
> 2- a Geometry sqlalchemy.types.TypeEngine [3]
>   # example:
>   table = Table('postgis_table_name', metadata,
>                       Column('gid', Integer, primary_key=True),
>                       Column('the_geom', Geometry(4326))
>   )
>   Geometries read from PostGIS are converted into Shapely [4]
> geometries.
>
> 3- the implementation of the MapFish RESTful protocol for reading,
> creating, updating and deleting geographic objects [5]

how easily can the SQLAlchemy constructs be used independently of the
Pylons/RESTful stuff ?   do you include comparator objects like those
demonstrated in the postgis.py example ?  e.g.:

print
session
.query(Road).filter(Road.road_geom.intersects(r1.road_geom)).all()
session.query(Road).filter(Road.road_geom == 'LINESTRING(189412
252431,189631 259122)').one()

the "GeomFromText" function is called implicitly with the above
examples.