On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Michael Bayer
<mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> I dont know much about MapFish but it appears to have a client/server,
> calls itself a web applciation framework, and seems completely
> complicated compared to just "we'd like to use PostGIS with
> SQLAlchemy".   I'm just looking for smooth integration with PostGIS
> and other geospatial SQL extensions.    If we decide my observation
> that GeoDjango has done a lot of work that needs to be re-done isn't
> really valid, and everything they've done is only useful for Django
> web applications, then that idea should be scrapped, and a simple
> library which builds upon SQLAlchemy expression constructs should be
> created.

Hi

MapFish's python package [1] basically provides the following:

 1- a paster_create_template entry point [2] for creating MapFish
applications with "paster create -t mapfish". MapFish applications are
basically Pylons applications with an extra command (paster mf-layer)
for creating RESTful web services relying on PostGIS tables

 2- a Geometry sqlalchemy.types.TypeEngine [3]
   # example:
   table = Table('postgis_table_name', metadata,
                       Column('gid', Integer, primary_key=True),
                       Column('the_geom', Geometry(4326))
   )
   Geometries read from PostGIS are converted into Shapely [4] geometries.

3- the implementation of the MapFish RESTful protocol for reading,
creating, updating and deleting geographic objects [5]

We're interested in feedback and collaboration on that.Thanks!

[1] <https://trac.mapfish.org/trac/mapfish/browser/trunk/MapFish/server/python>
[2]
<https://trac.mapfish.org/trac/mapfish/browser/trunk/MapFish/server/python/mapfish/util.py>
[3]