unfortunately I can't recall... I encountered this a long time ago (2010 or
so), so I think it was a migration from .5 to .6x

what i do remember, is that once I figured out how wrong i was about
setting up the session... i was amazed that anything worked.

I looked at the .5x and .6x changelogs but couldn't find anything
(http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_7/changelog/index.html)

another thing i can suggest is this -- try installing a few versions and
pinpoint what works/doesn't.  it might be easier to find the culprit in the
changelog for the first non-working release.