On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Greg Barker <fle...@fletchowns.net> wrote:

>  harddrive. Can you confirm this?
>
> > Giving this, if the fastest is 3.6 seconds, you have a very fast
> I can confirm this, my tests were run on a machine that uses a solid state
> drive.

Hmm, yesterday something struck me I can do similar tests on an Asus T91MT
having SSD as the storage. I got similar timings to Greg's. So it seems like
page size is a very sensitive parameter for solid state drives. Looks like
having the page_size lower than the cluster size on NTFS file drive will
have very high price for scanning-intensive operations. What puzzles me is
that CPU time for 1024 'select count' can take about 98% of the time so it's
not the same logic as was for rotating hard drives when a program just waits
for the hard drive to complete the operation. I doubt sqlite does something
special so it's maybe about adaptation of ssd specific by windows, it looks
like it's far from ideal. Can someone point to some tests regarding this?
Since SSD becomes more and more spread, i think it's better to understand
what it going on at least approximately.

my timing for Select Count for 400-500MB Bases and the table with about
1,000,000 records

1024:
  40 Seconds, 98% system+user time, 500 MB Read, 12 MB/Sec
2048:
  22 Seconds, 94% system+user time, 500 MB Read, 20 MB/Sec
4096 (This NTFS Cluster size)
  11 Seconds, 96% system+user time, 450 MB Read, 32 MB/Sec
8192
  8 Seconds, 87% system+user time, 420 MB Read, 50 MB/Sec
32768
  8 Seconds, 56% system+user time, 410 MB Read, 50 MB/Sec

Max