Redrum wrote:
> when I tried it and it failed, I tried it with the RP FLAC (both), mp3,
> and a couple of other random stations (probably tune in) Again, what I
> saw is you can add them all fine, and they usually play, but when you
> switch from playing say position 5, to 2, 2 plays with the meta data for
> 5.
>
> I really just wanted to confirm that I saw what the OP saw, as I dropped
> it months ago, but I can recreate exact steps if requested.

I'm sure you're seeing a problem whether it is easily fixed is another
issues.

This is my idea of what happening although I not sure about some LMS
details.
Originally metadata was embedded in stream using ICY protocols.
Often the URL to be played was a playlists which provided a number of
URLS to spread loads across servers.
However some stream just provided metadata on their websites (to force
users to see ads) so LMS added support for plugins which "registered"
with LMS to be activated whenever a specific URL is being played.
Because the URL being played may not be the original URL played (e.g
redirected, playlist, CDN) - the concept of a "original" top URL is used
in LMS as the actual playing URL is not the URL that was originally
requested to play.  Over time additional APIs (function calls) have been
added to LMS to assist in tracking back to the "original" URL. I know
some of my plugins do not use these new APIs and so could be faulty in
some circumstances as they did workarounds (i.e. poked directly into
LMS) - I expect the same may be true of other plugins.

IIRC - Radio Paradise Flac uses a plugin for metadata (I think RP plugin
does more as RP Flac stream is special)
I don't know how the metadata is handled for the other stream you
mention.
Metadata gathering in plugins are often driven by a timer - so once
activated stay running until some notifications.
LMS will also request "metadata" suppliers for metadata (i.e. the
plugins getMetadatafor routine ) for playing stream but it is also
called for each item in a playlist waiting to be played (i.e. return
station icon/name metadata and not current metadata for a stream NOT
playing) .

After moving up/down, some plugins may not be handling the "playlist"
aspect correctly or there may be issues (e.g. cached URLs) with
identifying "top" URL for the playing stream.

There are a limited number of developers and they only have limited time
to look after issues. So if a fix for this issue is offered by a user,
it will be checked and probably accepted.