I have also observed something similar lately and am wondering if this
is somehow related:

under favorites i have created a folder for my top radio stations, when
i select for example a radio station which i marked as favorite in that
folder from the radio now playing plugin (in this special case: RPR1.
80er Rock (aac)) and hit on play artwork is displayed. When i click
pause that stream and later start the stream again by clicking on play
again (without going the way over favorites again) the artwork is not
updated any more. As soon as i restart the stream again from folder
under favorites, the artwork is updated again.

LMS 8.4 (Debian virtual machine on ESXi) - 3 x piCorePlayer on Raspberry
Pi 3 - Yamaha RX-A840 - 2 x *SqueezeAMP* (boost version) - Squeezeplay
on iMac at work (connected over vpn to home lms)