On Wed Mar  4 02:05:14 2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Perhaps we need to take some signals from how real people behave?

Real people also have "learned behaviour".

An example of this in a different protocol is the perceived belief that mailboxes should be kept small, which is usually as a result of the limited ability of the MUA or the server. (I have neither problem, and have many thousands of messages as a result.)

I think the use of multiple acocunts works okay on the desktop, but I don't think it's a good solution on the mobile handset - I'd have thought the better solution would be to have partial activation and a single account.

However, there's an interesting middle ground - Kurt's recent I-D outline about subordinate accounts (it's an alternate proposal to Dirk's certificate handling, and truth be told I've not yet read it, so I'm merely guessing what it says) could mean that users might configure their mobiles with a subordinate account which had a different default roster view.

That means that in some respects, the accounts are indeed different, or at least, can be treated so, whereas in other respects, they're the same account.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/