IIRC (and I might not, since I'm no Java expert) OpenSSO was only being used
for the Passive STS, and there was a custom metro Active STS. If that is
correct, to get the trader client working sans OpenSSO, you would need to
configure it to use the .NET Passive STS, or the WSAS Passive STS. I haven't
been able to find specific emails discussing those scenarios (because the mail
volume is so large, and the keywords I would search so frequently occurring),
but I am certain that the trader_client would not have been removed if we could
either (a) show those scenarios working and/or (b) divorce the metro
trader_client entirely from its OpenSSO dependency.

I was looking at a slide deck from a presentation on Stonehenge (shortly before
the release of M2), and the known good compatibility was as follows:

        .NET Passive STS -> Metro Active STS
        .NET Web App -> Metro Active STS
        .NET Web App -> Metro Business Service
        .NET Business Service -> Metro Order Processor
        .NET Business Service -> WSAS Order Processor
        .NET Business Service -> .NET Order Processor
        WSAS Passive STS -> .NET Web App
        WSAS Business Service -> Metro Order Processor
        WSAS Business Service -> .NET Order Processor
        WSAS Business Service -> WSAS Order Processor

So the project did demonstrate interoperability, but also found some
incompatibilities that were not yet overcome.

- Nick Hauenstein