Jeff Robertson wrote:
> In real life usually *do* code the redirects by hand. Reading this
> discussion was the first time I'd actually thought of using them for that.
>
> However, using the actions has one advantage. Compare:
>
> <logic:forward name="welcome" />

> <jsp:forward page="/welcome.do" />
>
> These are mostly equivalent, except that the second explicitly contains the
> controller's extension mapping. This is information that we would like to
> encapsulate if possible. The first version does that nicely.
>
> I admit that this is a minor nit to pick..

But I think an important one. Moving forward, I'd like to eliminate needing to embed the extension mapping anywhere. We made a real stride in this regard by adding "action" to the html:link tag.

We really should be able to run everything on logical names. I use this exact technique in all my tag-based apps to get around the "welcome page" use.

There should be an action property here too, so that we can go directly to the Welcome action, or whatever is appropriate for the application.

-T.

-- Ted Husted, Struts in Action <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>