Ted Husted wrote:
Peter A. Pilgrim wrote:
 > If the interface was supposed to be environment free what would
 > this interface be?

Have a look at the abstract WebContext in the Craig's new Chain of Responsibility package.

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-chain/

So, the ActionContext interface *might* start with the WebContext members and then add some convenience methods for retrieving the ActionMapping and ActionForm.

MyActionForm form = (MyActionForm) context.getActionForm();

The idea being that at runtime Struts could be passing around a ServletActionContext or a PortletActionContext, or a generic ActionContext (implemented with HashMaps) that you populated yourself as part of an automatic test.

Right.

So we could have convenience methods such as

StrutsWebContext  scontext = (StrutsWebContext)context;
// Where ``StrutsWebContext'' is a type of ``ServletWebContext''

ActionForm form = scontext.getActionForm();
ActionMapping mapping = scontext.getActionMapping();

Another import idea is that, if we wanted, we could also add other other convenience methods to the context without breaking the signature.

And presumably we [as application developer] will be able to subclass the ServletWebContext and add application features like Single Sign-On / Security / personalisation etcetera. We will be able to configure Struts Module to use our custom `Context' instead of the Struts default context.

Yep this is looking sexy.

--
Peter Pilgrim