On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Peter A. Pilgrim wrote:

> So we could have convenience methods such as
>
> StrutsWebContext  scontext = (StrutsWebContext)context;
> // Where ``StrutsWebContext'' is a type of ``ServletWebContext''
>
> ActionForm form = scontext.getActionForm();
> ActionMapping mapping = scontext.getActionMapping();

If we're talking about a Struts2 world (where we're willing to reconsider
the calling sequence of an Action anyway), wouldn't it be better to make
StrutsWebContext just extend WebContext instead of ServletWebContext?
That way we could have transparent support for servlets and portlets.

> > Another import idea is that, if we wanted, we could also add other other
> > convenience methods to the context without breaking the signature.
> >

> And presumably we [as application developer] will be able to subclass
> the ServletWebContext and add application features like Single Sign-On
> / Security / personalisation etcetera. We will be able to configure
> Struts Module to use our custom `Context' instead of the Struts
> default context.
>
> Yep this is looking sexy.

Yep ... lots of interesting room for playing around here.  To say nothing
of the fact that you can compose your own request processor pipeline to
boot.