The issue isn't so much with voting on the relesae plan, but voting on the
release itself. As you say, the HTTPD rules say that anyone can create a
release. We're not HTTPD, though, and the Jakarta rules are different. As
long as we're part of Jakarta, we need to abide by the Jakarta rules.

Under "Decision Making", in the section on "Release Testing", is the
following statement:

    "Majority approval is required before the release can be made."
    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

So, we do need to vote on each and every release.

--
Martin Cooper