Hi Vic,

I read your proposal. As you say, I think it would be
great to provide Struts-based verticals under a portal
platform. In your proposal you have mentioned that one
of BasicPortal's goals is to provide a UI that is
similar to my.netscape.com. I think that Liferay has
accomplished this and it also has pretty extensive
personalization and administration features. Please
surf through the demo at my.liferay.com Log in as the
administrator so you can check out the administration
features as well:
Login: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Pass: test

Since now I am somewhat involved in both Liferay and
BasicPortal (although I have not yet contributed a
single line of code to either of them) I can clearly
see that there is a common goal in both of these
projects: providing an open-source "Struts-based"
portal server. Both projects have their strengths.
While BasicPortal has a good lightweight persistence
framework, Liferay has an extensive UI for
personalization and administration. I suggest that the
best of both projects can be combined under a brand
new Jakarta subproject that would aim to provide a
Struts-based alternative to JetSpeed. What do you
think?

-Mete

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PortalProposal