  From: fer de vries
  To: sundial
  Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 10:38 AM
  Subject: Re: Translations

  Friends,

  The basics for the dam-dial is a shadow tangent to an hour line.

  More about these basics may be read in:

  Compendium, Nass, vol. 12, nr. 4, December 2005,
  Alessandro Gunella, Italy, A sphere as a gnomon......

  Compendium, Nass, vol. 13, nr. 1, March 2006, letters.....,
  Note by Rolf Wieland, Germany, Spherical gnomon.

  Instead of a sphere here a horizontal disk, the edge of the ballustrade, is
used as shadow caster.

  Best wishes, Fer.

  Fer J. de Vries

  De Zonnewijzerkring