Peter Tandy probably echoes the astonishment of all of us that any sane person
would suggest shooting at a sundial but there is at least one other example
that I know of.  The otherwise excellent dial at Minster Abbey (on the Isle
Sheppey in Kent, UK) is one. The poor image attached might just be small enough
to get transmitted but it certainly shows the extensive damage. It must somehow
be appealing in some way.  I can only think that it must be the sound of the
hit that attracts these yobs. Hmmm, maybe it is the fact that the said
physiotherapist has himself engaged in this practice that makes him suggest it
to others.... Patrick