Leonidas Jones wrote:
Bush wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 11/30/2009 06:33 PM, Bush wrote:
Graham wrote:
Bush wrote:
/snip/
Just tried my computer at tvguid and clicked a show showing on HBO and I
get a RED box with a desription of the movie .

If you did not reset the about:config pref as i described, yes that is what would happen. The site thinks you are using Firefox, and serves you a working version.

/snip/
You, or someone using your computer did change the UA. There is no
other way for this to happen. I can see how SM *might* reset to its
default on its own, but there is no way it will change the UA to an
antiquated version of Firefox on its own.

Sorry .. I do all the computer repair here . And no way did I mess with
any setting other That What is in the Menu's .

I can't say anything more then I have already said, some user reset the pref. *userset* means some *user* *set* the pref. There is no other way for it to happen.

/snip/

I only started having problems when I installed seamonkey 2.0 , It looks
suspicious to you, But I have never installed Firefox or thunderbird on
any of the computers Here . But that is Beside the point Because when
win 7 was released ( I bought it From microsoft ) I bought a new Sata
Drive . installed win7 pro and then Seamonkey 1.1.18 Then I saw that 2.0
was on the seamonkey site as the Current release .. Uninstalled 1.1.18
and installed 2.0 . Had too many problems access e-mail and certain
sites, So I uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled 1.1.18 and Now u say I
spoofed it ...

You installed SeaMonkey 1.1.18 first. Did you transfer settings and files from your previous windows installation? Specifically, did you transfer your 1.1.18 profile from your previous Windows installation?

If so, anything you did with SeaMonkey 1.1.18 was carried over. Heck, I've forgotten about more things I've done with computers then I remember. I've often switched the UA to troubleshoot an issue, then forgot that I did it. Fortunately the Prefbar extension reset it as the true UA on a restart, or all of you might be wondering how I am posting here in IE6 on XP :)

Anyhow, if you reset the pref in about:config as I described
elsewhere, you will find that reverting to 1.1.18 is not an answer to
these kind of problems.

Right now I donot think I should mess with something that is access all
the websites . I know u are trying to figure out WHY . and I hope your
Conversations May help the develpers figure this out in the Future .

The problem with a permanent UA spoofing is that the web sites' logs will indicate that any visit you make with is with Firefox, not SeaMonkey. These web site developers will then have no real reason to update their browser sniffers to include SeaMonkey.

What I do when I encounter such a site is to spoof the UA to Firefox. If I am successful in getting in, I write the web developer of that site to tell them that SeaMonkey can in fact deliver their page accurately, and ask them to adjust their browser sniffer accordingly.

I'm not saying that you should go that far. However, if you leave your UA permanently spoofed, you are not helping to broaden web access for SeaMonkey. The user does play an important part here.

I would suggest returning to the true UA. Then, via an extension such as Preference Toolbar, or the UA switcher, switch the us on an as needed basis. That way, at least the web logs will indicate a attempted visit by SeaMonkey, so an tech evangelism attempt will have more credence.

Thanks for the help Lee .I may answer some more of you inquiries later.
But typing with one hand makes the good Hand Hurt .. I already lost one
hand and do not want to loose the remaining one .

One of our valued contributors here types one handed as well. (Hi Daniel) I don't have any personal experience with one handed typing, but I manage to do badly enough with two hands :) I do appreciate your efforts in improving this valued suite.

Lee