NoOp wrote:
Found it. I just loaded up a test Ubuntu 10.10 with the default
/usr/share/gnome-control-center/gnome-default-applications.xml
showing:
SeaMonkey:
<executable>seamonkey</executable>
       <command>seamonkey -mail %s</command>
       <icon-name>seamonkey</icon-name>
       <run-in-terminal>false</run-in-terminal>
(...)
So the issue appears to be related to
/usr/share/gnome-control-center/gnome-default-applications.xml. Now, the
question is: where did gnome get those settings from? Mozilla, old Gnome
files, etc?

gnome-default-applications.xml is part of Ubuntu package capplets-data [1]. Inspecting that file shows that it indeed contains -mail in the command for both SeaMonkey and Iceape (the Debian-branded version of SeaMonkey), even for the latest Ubuntu version (Maverick). And looking at [2] I guess OpenSUSE is affected, too (package control-center2). To solve the issues, bugs should be filed in the affected distributions' bug trackers.

The question is whether calling SeaMonkey like Thunderbird in the mail-reader case, i.e. without an extra "-mail" or "-compose", would produce a useful result.

[1]: Use <http://packages.ubuntu.com/#search_contents>
[2]: <http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-commit/2007-04/msg00087.html>

HTH

Jens