Interviewed by CNN on 30/05/2011 06:49, Paul B. Gallagher told the world:

> In the long term, if enough sites were compliant, M$ would have to shape
> up. In the real world, of course, the whip is in the other hand. :-(

Actually, I understand that IE9 is reasonably compliant (not 100%, but
near enough for most purposes), and the gap has been closing since IE7.
IE6 and older are the really, really bad boys around, and even Microsoft
is trying to make people switch:

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

So it appears that they ARE shaping up. Unfortunately, there are still
too many copies of IE6 in use.

The reasons I still stay away from IE nowadays are not so much
standards-compliance, but:

1- Security (MS has a dirt-poor track record in that)

2- IE is designed as a dumbest-user browser. I mean, they admitted that
the IE9 layout assumes that "very few users" open more than 3 tabs.
That's aiming for the low end of the market. Meanwhile, Mozilla was
previewing a way to make it easier to manage dozens of tabs...

3- A general lack of trust in their design goals. Microsoft in the past
tried to leverage IE into a MS-centric Web, and I have no doubts they
will attempt to do that again as soon as they feel strong enough.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-