Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

On 5/29/2011 4:25 PM, W3BNR wrote:

Personally I don't think we should have to lie about our browser.

We (SeaMonkey Council) fully agree with you. That said, our users
are higher priority. KaiRo (longtime project member, and Council
member) has proposed, years ago, a theoretical solution to the issue
(back when Firefox was not even recognized by websites, fwiw), the
problem is we don't have the backend gecko support atm, and it would
be A LOT of work to try and implement on our own.

If the support is ever there, we'll gladly use it though.

FWIW, it would be a notational equivalent if all Gecko browsers identified themselves as "Firefox" instead of "Gecko." Then the websites that sniff for "Firefox" would all get it right.

I hate to "punish" the ones that have been getting it right all along by forcing them to adjust, but if we have to choose between hoping the stupid webmasters will adjust and hoping the smart webmasters will adjust, the smart money will be on the smart webmasters.

Keep in mind that the current squabbling doesn't serve the end users, but resolving it will. It hardly matters what word we use in the UA string, as long as it's standardized. We could just as easily call the rendering engine "Toaster," as long as everyone agrees on it.

Paul B. Gallagher