Patrick Turner wrote:

Smith said....

"For that, please give Safe Mode a try:  Help -> Restart with
Add-ons disabled. Besides temporarily disabling your add-ons,it
will allow you to see how things behave with mostly default
settings for personal preferences. I may be wrong, but I think
chances are significant that you're bumping into an obscure
preferences setting that may be causing your problems. Smith

The trouble with PCs is that whenever I try something someone
recommends, it never works out, and I waste time. There was only ever
a remote chance someone might know something here, because of COWPAT
theorem.

What I suggested wasn't necessarily to your problem, so much as a way of trying to find out what the problem is. As noted previously, others contributing to this thread haven't been able to reproduce your problem.

What you get by starting in Safe Mode is seeing what happens if you run Seamonkey with default settings. If the problem goes away, then it's something in your user profile that needs to be adjusted (or if you don't have a lot of stuff in your user profile that you care about, move to a new profile).

If you still have the same symptoms in Safe Mode, then the problem is probably something outside of Seamonkey, and how Seamonkey interacts with other parts of your computer, most likely the video hardware.

So Chrome doesn't show the same kind of problems. That's fine, but it's a completely different piece of software -- different developers, different design expectations. A better point of comparison would be Firefox, as both Firefox and Seamonkey use the same Gecko rendering engine, even if the user interfaces between the two, are different. If you're seeing the same kind of problems with Firefox, then the problem seems likely to be related to Gecko.

I suggested changing your display resolution, because I run mine as high as my hardware will handle, and your hardware may behave differently. Changing resolution is easy enough to do in Windows 7: Right-click on the desktop and select Screen Resolution. Will that solve your problem? Who knows, but it's something to check, and it's easy enough to do.

The other thing you might want to try is checking Seamonkey's appearances settings (Edit -> Preferences - Appearance -> Content), and seeing which settings there may be affecting. (This is one of the places where a start in Safe mode will help, as if you're running non-defaults with any of these, Safe Mode will reset to defaults).

I won't try to analyze all the settings, but I will note that on my own machine, I have hardware acceleration disabled. I found that some time ago, I was having some display problems (resolution of fonts, I think), and when I disabled hardware acceleration, that problem went away.

One other note -- if you're using the Composer, you do know that it's no longer supported or developed, don't you? I do use the composer but only for maintaining a couple of HTML documents. For any serious work for doing a web page, you probably should be using a different tool. NVU and Kompozer are also both based on Mozilla code -- they're newer than the Seamonkey composer, but also abandoned/unsupported. If you want to stay with a Mozilla-based tool, the one that's supported is Blue Griffon, although there are some changes in the user interface that you have to get used to.

I'm not sure why the Seamonkey developers continue to include the Composer, if it's no longer supported, but I do appreciate having it there, for what it can do.

Smith