A big Thank You to all who helped solve the problem with my wife's computer:

                Ed Mullen
                David Ross
                Jonathan N. Little
                Frank-Rainer Grahl
                David Durgee
                Mark Bourne
                Philip Taylor
                Daniel

You all contributed to one extent or another. This clearly shows the value of this news group--I can't imagine a better resource.

Here's how we resolved it, with pieces from many of you (seems simple once we really understood it).

It all started when we set up her "new" profile in her new computer, copying same from a backup copy.

The first observation is that SM is installed and working, except that we get the error message. Seems that SM is trying to do what it is told, in three instructions:

(1)The file named in the error message is listed in Browser Preferences in the box defining "Home".

(2)The Browser preference also says to display the Home page when the browser opens.

(3)The Appearance preference says to open the Browser when SM starts. Thus, SM is told to try to open a file that does not exist.

Two other clues: the "ini" file doesn't have an "ini" suffix, and the "bookmarks" file doesn't have an "html" suffix. In both cases that nevertheless is what they were (a belated discovery).

So, eventually we changed the Home box in Preferences to point to her correct Profile, which did include the html file, restarted SM, and voila!, fixed. SM starts on her Bookmarks page, and all is well.

Thank you all again. What a great (and patient) group!

Larry S.