On 02/17/16 11:18 AM, Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:52:19 -0500, Keith Thompson
<thompson...@gmail.com> wrote:

Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
Keith Thompson wrote:
My ISP (WOW!) has just changed mailing securities and now I have to
use a password on the
smtp.  I cannot get the entry to take when trying to send.  I am using
SM 2.39.  I have
gone through a number of trials.  Their requirement is that I use no
connection Security,
Port 587, and Password.  I have set the smtp to these conditions, but
the password will
not enter.  I have cleared the password file of these and then tried
the entry again.  It
did not take, but the password was now in the password file. For some
reason, it appears
that the password file cannot communicate with the smtp.  What am I
missing here? The mail
sending was working fine until WOW changed their requirements. Wow, of
course, wants me to
change to Windows Mail and IE.  SM security is exactly the reason that
I avoided MS Products.

Keith Thompson

Does WOW webmail work?  Often web and smtp use the same p/w.
Have you tried with firewall and anti-virus turned off?

Yes, I can read and send when on the wow webmail site.  I have also
turned off my firewall with no effect.  I have checked my AV and and it
is clear.

One thing to check, just to be sure. Done a Malware scan with
Malwarebytes or something similar? It's possible some email malware
could have hijacked your PC.

Or, got to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ and open hosts in Notepad
or Wordpad. On Windows 7 (or newer), If it looks *anything* other than
this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host
name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#       127.0.0.1       localhost
#       ::1             localhost

Could be it as well.

I had a somewhat different host file as I use an app called checky. This stops those addon installations. As such, I changed back to the backup, stored host and set the flags to readonly and system file. Still did not accept the password for sending an email.