Alexander Yudenitsch wrote:

Don't you mean that you "upgraded the OS from W2K to WXP while SM was
already installed, and it just ran without further action on [your]
part"?  After all, XP came after 2k (which came after W95, all of
which I used in turn)...  And, yes, going from W2K to WXP was nearly
effortless (as I remember, the main difference was that instead of a
WINNT directory, we had a WINDOWS one), but I think you misremember:
The directory structure in W7 is quite different from the WXP one
(although they did add 'link-like directories' so you can use
old-style addresses.

Just goes to show how poor my memory of ancient history is. Of course you're right.

Windows 2000 was released February 17, 2000, and Windows XP was released October 25, 2001. So XP is approaching its 15th birthday. Computer years are like dog years (7:1), so that means it's like a 105-year-old human being. Even my Win7 at six (42) is starting to look long in the tooth. It still runs, but...

When I buy computer hardware, I do so with the expectation that it will be obsolete in five years (like a 35-year-old human athlete).

Paul B. Gallagher