Alexander Yudenitsch wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote, on 10 Oct 16 17:46:

Haven't seen this. If I select a message in the list and press "J" to
classify it as junk, SM just puts it in the Junk folder without
displaying it. Of course, if I open it to diagnose it and /then/ mark it
as junk, well, it's already open, isn't it? ;-)

Can you precisely describe the circumstances and steps you take so
someone else can reproduce the problem?

Well, first of all, I don't allow SM to move messages around on its own:
I like and value very much its mail filter (as I'm fond of telling
friends, it even manages to distinguish 'ad-only editions' of a
newsletter from 'normal' ones!), so I let it mark all messages IT
'thinks' are junk, and then I go through my Inbox checking -- and,
usually, some of its Junk/Spam aren't ones I so consider, several ARE
junk but I still want to keep them, and several others are ones I
consider junk/spam, so I mark them as such with a right-click, and
THAT's when SM opens the message pane!

The usual point of filters (not the same as Junk Mail Control) is to move incoming messages to appropriate folders. So messages from my bank go in my bank's folder, messages from my accountant go in my accountant's folder, messages from my brother go in my Personal folder, etc. I don't clog up my Inbox by letting everything stay there and moving it manually. And I can see at a glance where the new messages are because any folder name with unread messages is shown in bold.

In the same way, I do want SM to move junk messages to the Junk folder, which then lights up in bold to remind me to check them. In most cases, I can take one look at the subject line and agree that it's junk -- if I've just inherited $23 million from some Nigerian prince, or gained the opportunity to improve my size and performance, I don't have to open it. But for those that I do want to inspect, I open them with one crucial setting:
        Edit | Preferences | Mail & Newsgroups | Message Display
        [x] Block images and other content from remote sources.

This way, the message doesn't "phone home" for a web beacon to notify the spammer that I've opened the message.

Of course, you'll also want to set SM not to run scripts and plugins in mail messages:
        Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Scripts & Plugins
        Enable plugins for [ ] Mail & Newsgroups
(JavaScript is disabled by default for the "Mail & Newsgroups" component, for security reason.)

Paul B. Gallagher