On 2010-11-04, Peter Lennox wrote:

I love it when you egg-heads start talking dirty.

It's only dirty once you invoke the axiom of choice or somesuch vile notion: http://xkcd.com/804/ . Apparently they now also have a site to explain it: http://www.explainxkcd.com/2010/10/11/pumpkin-carving/ -- which we find is a cheap shot.

Personally I take refuge in http://wulffmorgenthaler.com/ . ;)

I've no idea what you're talking about, but then I've no idea what my wife means when she explains why this red is better than that one, [...]

It takes a gay man to figure out precise colors, or a woman. It took awhile for me to figure out what the precise differences between "teal", "dark cyan" and "cerulean" really were, eventhough I have a rather acute sense for tone. After that I suddenly discovered a somewhat interesting fact: people's color discrimination tends to be at its best within these precise green-yellow-heavy wavelengths, which means that otherwise metameric colours yield unusually sharp contrasts here.

As such, my age-old debate with my mother about whether a certain cupboard was blue or green finally came to closure: in here, we're more likely to disagree even about the basic color boundaries than anywhere else, especially over differing lighting conditions. That cupboard was in fact blue to her and green to me, at the same time, and for the same underlying physical reason. ;)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2