Hi Jascha,
What length extension cable were you using?
And does anyone have any experience of the comparative differences between the
the different lengths?

David
On 18/04/2011, at 6:30 AM, Jascha Narveson wrote:

> Hi, Bill -
>
> Yep - I skipped the extension cable today and just had the mic go from the
> breakout cable to the PPAs, and today's recording didn't turn up with any
> RFI, at least when I played back the first couple of minutes of the test
> recording.  Hopefully the remainder will be RFI-free, as well.
>
> Thanks, surround sound list.
>
> cheers,

> On Apr 16, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Bill de Garis wrote:
>
>> I have the radio pick up problem with my Tetramic.
>> I find it is better to put the 4 XLR adaptors into my 4x3ft XLR cables and
>> then plug the XLR cables into my MOTU Traveller rather than use one of Lens
>> extension cables and plug the adaptors directly into the Traveller.
>> If I need distance I use a couple of InstaSnakes and shielded CAT5.
>> Radio pickup is still a problem in some locations though.
>> I tried wrapping multiple layers of heavy kitchen aluminium foil over the
>> adapters after zip-tying them to the handle of my Rycote blimp.
>> Worked OK in the kitchen, but nowhere else.  :o)
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On 16/04/2011 12:36 p.m., Jascha Narveson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, once again, surround list -
>>>
>>> My apologies for the continued emails from my end - as you can tell, I'm
>>> trying to muddle through some location recording this weekend, and am
>>> running in to things I've never dealt with before.  To whit:
>>>
>>> I've just come back from recording in Times Square and discovered that I
>>> was picking up the radio.  I'm using a TetraMic, and I'm guessing that the
>>> 6' extension cable that goes from the mic to the break-out cable might be
>>> the weak link, as it looks rather thin and is probably unshielded.  From
>>> the PPAs I have four 3-foot XLR cables that are then going in to the 788T,
>>> so they might be part of the problem, as well.
>>>
>>> I know that in picking Times Square as a recording subject I'm walking in
>>> to one of the heavier RF zones in the city, but I'm hoping that somebody
>>> here might have some tips of things I can try to work around it...?  Is
>>> there some way I can shield the cables in a d.i.y. fashion, for instance?
>>>
>>> thanks yet again,
>>>
>>> - jascha

Dr David Worrall
Adjunct Research Fellow, Australian National University
david.worr...@anu.edu.au
Board Member, International Community for Auditory Display
Regional Editor, Organised Sound (CUP)
Projects Officer, Music Council of Australia
worrall.avatar.com.au   sonification.com.au
mca.org.au                      musicforum.org.au