On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:47:04PM +0200, Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2012, at 22:27, Fons Adriaensen <f...@linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
> > First order definitely isn't good enough. As long a you insist that
> > one can't go up in order, just forget about it all.
>
> Tell that Meridian, and all their customers who have enjoyed immensely not
> only listening to horizontal-only 1st order Ambisonics, but also to 1st order
> horizontal-only Ambisonics crippled by UHJ matrix-encoding constraints.

First order is certainly fine for classical orchestral music,
and I enjoy that as well even without Meridian's help.
But that will reach a minoriy classical music lovers audience
only. And first order fails rather miserably for anything else
compared to 5.1 which is what people already have and can compare
with. It won't produce a stable front channel for movie sound,
nor has it the the required spatial definition for effects that
work outside a very small sweet spot. And what's the problem with
five or seven channels anyway ?

This has nothing to do with 'elitism'. Try selling 256-color
computer displays to today's consumers. Won't work even if they
would do fine for 99% of all practical computer applications.
It's too late for that. Technology has moved on, and people
know it.

Ciao,

--
FA