Paul Hodges wrote:

--On 13 April 2012 03:08 +0100 Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

I am not sure that any form of surround will make it into the home,

I have quite a lot of commercial surround music recordings, on 5.1 media. However, because of my recording activities, my surround reproduction equipment is tied to my computer, and the SACD media containing these surround recordings is specifically designed to be not playable on my computer, or transferable to it - so I have heard hardly any of these. I can decode and play my even larger number of UHJ recordings (from Nimbus, of course, but also others), but even setting that up is a pain to do because of the lack of integrated software UHJ players.

I have criticized this again and again, also at companies:

SACDs are fine, but they are not compatible with computers and the current crop of mobile devices.

UHJ < should > be supported on any Ambisonics decoder, such as FOA.

Actually, I'd be interested to know how many people on this list listen to surround recordings on a surround system for simple pleasure, as opposed to in the lab or as part of specific investigations of the process.

This is a very valid question...    ;-)

Best,

Stefan