Meridian may be expensive, too, but at least they are sticking with Ambisonics. Full horizontal 1st order B-format is now included in their decoders, as well as UHJ, superstereo and Trifield. Oh, and I'm a Meridian customer enjoying one of the few (only?) current domestic ambisonic decoders. Still damned expensive, so I've not replaced mine for nearly 15 years.

I could just about cope with full 2nd order horizontal (6 speakers) but not 3rd with eight speakers in my typically small UK sitting room. Height is out of the question, People clearly put 5 and sometimes 7 speakers in their listening/entertainment rooms (in all sorts of odd places, though), so G-format should be possible, too (up to 3rd order?). For home use, I use superstereo with the TV and, as long as the width control is kept narrow-ish, centrally based sounds tie in well with what's happening on-screen. Sounds-off, such as doors closing and people speaking about to come into the image from left or right, can give a nicely widened perspective on a performance. I've only really been used to UHJ as a home user so I'm looking forward to full 1st order for music, classical and otherwise. I'd love to try UHJ with the TV. I suspect the dominance of a large TV image will tend to direct (sharpen?) perception of sound source positions on a TV screen, as happens anyway with TV speakers placed well off centre. Cinema may be a non-starter but not home use.

IMHO I can't see how FOA isn't clearly worth promoting along with up to 3rd order G-format decodes for 5.1/7.1 setups for home users. Basically, get UHJ and, while we are at it, superstereo into people's homes, then get on with full 1st and higher orders.

Steve