--On 28 October 2012 20:00 -0700 Robert Greene <gre...@math.ucla.edu> wrote:

I think compressed surround stuff is a nonstarter
in the real world. You would be looking for
a person who cared a lot about surround but
did not give a darn about sound quality. I doubt
that there are many such!

DTS is still by far the easiest way to get decoded ambisonic content out there.

As for compression... decently applied compression isn't that bad, really. And since I consider the reduction of surround to stereo another form of damaging compression, it may be a matter of swings and roundabouts. In time, all compression will go away, but we're not quite there yet.

Paul

--
Paul Hodges