On 28 Oct 2012, at 22:34, Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>> When Ambi VLC happens, I predict the re-surrection of UHJ.  Simple 2
>> channels will remain the most important distribution format in the forseable
>> future.
>
> This is real surround sound? Why not Dolby Surround...    :-D

Despite a lot of stupid badmouthing, UHJ works, Dolby Surround does not; and
things like SACD, DVD-Audio etc. have been sunk effectively by the cost of
playback systems and the greed of the record industry which was unable to read
the signs of the times (more things competing for the same little bit of
disposable income) and thus insisted on premium pricing rather than at price
levels that would have pitched the new formats as CD replacements.

As I said countless times before it's about REALISTIC AMBIENCE, I'm not trying
to train my sniper rifle on any musician while listening to music, so I could
care less if the localization isn't as accurate as some full B-format or HOA
recording as compared to the real layout of the people.
I wasn't at the concert, and 99.99% of listeners weren't there either, and
nobody knows or cares if the first violin was indeed 2 feet to the left of
where we think it is.

What realistic people care about, that there's a distribution channel for
stereo, and that UHJ is stereo compatible, meaning that the audience is bigger,
and the few people who are interested in surround sound actually have a chance
of getting a reasonably sized catalog of stereo recordings that are also
surround compatible; and for the foreseeable future, that's as good as it's
going to get, because the music industry doesn't produce music for less than 1%
of the market.

So you get some stereo compatible music, or you get nothing. Frankly, who cares
about the 3 dozen high-end surround recordings being made? For the most part
they are esoteric pieces, and rarely do they have the type of world-class
musicians that major labels attract, and even if they did, I don't care to
listen to the same 50 recordings over and over again.

Surround sound will not progress as long as the people involved refuse to be
part of a process that on the commercial side takes baby steps, and instead
insist on "certain minimal standards" that constitute too big of a leap of ever
being considered by commercial interests, both in the music industry and in
consumer electronics.

Ronald