From: Stefan Schreiber<mailto:st...@mail.telepac.pt>
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:32 AM
To: Surround Sound discussion group<mailto:sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Never do electronic in public.

David McGriffy wrote:

>I got a GearVR recently and it does work better than Google Cardboard. Much
>of this is just comfort, I think, but I understand that it has its own
>gyros, mostly because they are faster. 'Heresay' is that the Oculus Rift
>samples at least 1000Hz. I have actually written an audio rate rotate that
>could handle this, but it does seem like overkill. At normal head turning
>rates, I find interpolating the rotation within each block to be enough.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/latency-the-sine-qua-non-of-ar-and-vr/

(Written by a super-expert of VR)

> Assuming accurate, consistent tracking (and that’s a big if, as I’ll
> explain one of these days), the enemy of virtual registration is
> latency. < If too much time elapses between the time your head starts
> to turn and the time the image is redrawn to account for the new pose,
> the virtual image will drift far enough so that it has clearly wobbled
> (in VR), or so that is obviously no longer aligned with the same
> real-world features (in AR). >

(Elaboration:)

> Suppose you rotate your head at 60 degrees/second. That sounds fast,
> but in fact it’s just a slow turn; you are capable of moving your head
> at hundreds of degrees/second. Also suppose that latency is 50 ms and
> resolution is 1K x 1K over a 100-degree FOV. Then as your head turns,
> the virtual images being displayed are based on 50 ms-old data, which
> means that their positions are off by three degrees, which is wider
> than your thumb held at arm’s length. Put another way, the object
> positions are wrong by 30 pixels. Either way, the error is very
> noticeable.

In other words: There are speed/delay problems, there are sync problems,
there might be more...

> You can do prediction to move the drawing position to the right place,
> and that works pretty well most of the time. Unfortunately, when there
> is a sudden change of direction, the error becomes even bigger than
> with no prediction.

> Tracking latency is highly dependent on the system used. An IMU (3-DOF
> gyro and 3-DOF accelerometer) has very low latency – on the order of 1
> ms – but drifts. < In particular, position derived from the
> accelerometer drifts badly, because it’s derived via double
> integration from acceleration. > Camera-based tracking doesn’t drift,
> but has high latency due to the need to capture the image, transfer it
> to the computer, and process the image to determine the pose; that can
> easily take 10-15 ms. < Right now, one of the lowest-latency
> non-drifting accurate systems out there is a high-end system from NDI,
> which has about 4 ms of latency, so we’ll use that for the tracking
> latency. >

> It would be far easier and more generally applicable to have the
> display run at 120 Hz, which would immediately reduce display latency
> to about 8 ms, bringing total latency down to 12-14 ms.

(s. PlaystationVR...)

> If you ever thought that AR/VR was just a simple matter of showing an
> image on the inside of glasses or goggles, I hope that by this point
> in the blog it’s become clear just how complex and subtle it is to
> present convincing virtual images – and we’ve only scratched the surface.

Wise words... (No, really!)

But not to get stuck and despair: Motion-tracked audio seems to be
sooooo much easier to realize...

Best regards,

Stefan