Stefan Schreiber wrote:

David McGriffy wrote:

I got a GearVR recently and it does work better than Google Cardboard. Much
of this is just comfort, I think, but I understand that it has its own
gyros, mostly because they are faster. 'Heresay' is that the Oculus Rift
samples at least 1000Hz.

Yes, but do you need this?

The Rift is scheduled for release on March 28, 2016, making it one of the first consumer-targeted virtual reality headsets. It has a resolution of 1080×1200 per eye, a 90 Hz refresh rate, and a wide field of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

I see an issue if an assumed 125 Hz or 250 Hz sensor is not synced to 90 Hz, because this will lead to different "phases" brought into a non-fractional pattern. The problem then is that the 90Hz impression will be not be really smooth, in this case (A kind of 3:2 pulldown effect, so to speak. Different time lengths in 90 uneven parts, old story.)

You don't have to sync sensor and screen update speeds if you have a very high sensor speed.

And if I think about a bit further:

The video frames (75 to 120 Hz refresh rate) should be built up according "current" positional and view directional data.

The audio case is a bit different, IMO. Audio synthesis (VR/AR) has to be aligned with the video data, but the "colour changes" introduced by head orientation are very probably less time-sensitive. (s. available studies I have cited.)

Does this make sense?

Stefan

If you are thinking wireless headphones, remember the latency that that
introduces. I find my everyday bluetooth headset, built for music, is
useless for VR because of latency.

You don't need (absolute) real-time capability to listen to a recording.

Tracking needs RT response.

Best,

Stefan

And if you headphones are going to be
wired, then running that extra USB might not be too bad.

David McGriffy

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Bo-Erik Sandholm <bosses...@gmail.com>