I see... But a standalone player is nothing else than a dedicated
computer, configured for the task of playing multi-channel audio. A
pre-configured PC can be configured to be idiot-proof with much more
options (EQ, etc) at the expense of more effort (I agree). The Cymatic
unit looks nice, but we can read on the product page: "The uTrack24
records directly onto USB media plugged into the front panel,...". So
unless the unit and the USB media are itself enclosed or secured,
there's a risk that something goes wrong. Also, does it have an
auto-play feature (in case of a power reset)? Or an auto-loop feature?
The uTrack24 is designed for a specific target audience and a few use
cases. Because there's no free lunch, and many possible specific
scenarios, I would still favor a computer based solution.
--
Marc