From: Sursound <sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu> on behalf of Fernando
Lopez-Lezcano <na...@ccrma.stanford.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:40:56 AM
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] RIR measuring, how to capture a higher order Ambisonic
room responce?

On 04/23/2018 12:42 PM, Stefan Schreiber wrote:
>> I can do the 4 measurements with 45 degrees rotation of my tetramic, that
>> is not so difficult,  the next step to create a second order ambisonic
>> RIR
>>
>> that is where I will fail :-).

You would need to "calibrate" the created 8 capsule array. That is,
record impulse responses all around it in a big space or anechoic room
(enough to accurately sample the spherical harmonics you want), and then
derive an A to B converter from that. I have some preliminary code in my
SpHEAR project that tries to do that, but it is not a "push a button and
you are done" thing at all...

For Fons's code, and to do this the "right way"...
On 03/27/2018 01:18 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> ...  you'll have to sell your soul :-)

:-P

> I believe you might need a quite high precision to be successful even at
> the first step...
>
> (A SF mike has narrowly spaced capsules, and needs calibration....The
> mechanical precision you need to measure 2nd order with a FOA mike is
> IMHO high.)

Based on my experience with the Octathingy's I have built I would agree,
you would need to be very precise (and repeatable).

In my case to get good calibration data I need to rotate the microphone
with no wobble and at different orientations (or if it is not _exactly_
perfect, try to get away with calibrating out the average delays to all
capsules).

BTW, I cannot move the speaker around which would probably be a better
solution because of space constraints... I can barely get 4.5mSecs of IR
data in the spaces I can use.

> So the mathematical methods (based on FOA but improving the RIR
> resolution, as suggested by Archontis) should be a better way to go
> on... Especially since you could receive even higher resolutions/orders,
> and in practice.
>
> So the presented ideas to capture 2nd order RIRs via a 1st order mike
> are brilliant, but are they practical?

Probably not practical IMHO.

> And even if somebody could succeed in a very careful process: this does
> not look to be a robust measurement method. ..
>
> We always talk about the 1st reflections, in this case. Not reverb,
> which is kind of statistical.
>
> Of course you can try, but how much precision is really needed? (Should
> be clarified before...)

I would have to go to my data to get some numbers... I definitely can
see effects at high frequencies when the data capture is not precise
(I'm in the process of trying to build a better measuring rig).

-- Fernando

 - unsubscribe here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.