Excellent - this is exactly the method I was about to suggest - steppers,
related hardware and motor control boards have been driven down in price so
much by the 3-d printing/cnc/maker revolution that it makes almost no sense
to do anything else. I would use the esp8266 arduino compatible wifi module
which costs about the same as a decent cappuccino - I paid about 4 euros
for one at the end of last year - which has a reasonably powerful 16 bit
processor and is quite capable of acting as a web server, so I'm doing that
and controlling my steppers from a web based interface on my mobile or
laptop. Note, however, that I've confined it to just my home network for
security sake - don't want people using it to influence the elections :-)

    Dave
 PS Sorry once again I'm not currently doing this for audio - maybe one of
these days I'll get back to that.

On 24 April 2018 at 02:58, umashankar manthravadi <umasha...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have been using a stepper motor (of the kind used in 3d printer ) driven
> by a low cost Arduino and motor control board. I 3d print a snug fitting
> fixture for the microphone with the motor shaft  aligned to the array
> centre. It is low cost so I design a fitting for each mic I test, including
> the Brahma-in-Zoom. A small Arduino script rotates the stepper 25 steps
> each time I press a button (for 16 positions) and 50 steps (for 8
> positions). I was worried about the stepper skipping with the weight of the
> microphone, but that is not happening, even with a five volt supply. I was
> ready with a thrust bearing between the motor housing and the microphone
> housing but it was not necessary. I plan to get rid of the switch and use a
> pulse on the right channel instead, though I generally do not like to
> automate things too much.
>

> umashankar
>

> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'