Ralph, I'm thinking of an installation context, where there are many listening positions. If a person is standing close to a speaker that is some distance from the position of a virtual sound source, you would want an appropriate delay in the playback of the sound source from the close by speaker. In DBAP it will be at a lower amplitude than the speakers close to the virtual source, but the precedence effect could well make it appear that the source is at the close by speaker.

For our immerGo immersive sound system I made use of attenuation and delays at the cross points of a matrix in each of a number of speakers. I found that the incorporation of delays, together with attenuation values generated from DBAP, contributed substantially to the localization effect.